Thursday, June 18, 2009

A couple weeks before coming to Haiti I received a call from a member of the Mission to Haiti team asking me if UBC would take on the responsibility of providing gift bags of toiletries, underwear, and a snack for 425 women in a prison in Haiti, where finally, after a lengthy request process, they were granted permission to visit. I knew why we were asked for such a big project with little notice-UBC is known for her spontaneous generosity! I was also asked to prepare a devotional thought to share with the women. When we arrived in Haiti I learned that they would like a little more than a devotional thought. I was asked to "preach" the gospel. God has allowed me numerous opportunities to "preach" the gospel but every time I consider it a tremendous honor. This time I asked God to let the meditations of my heart and the guiding of His Spirit lead me to identify with these women, make sense of my examples diminishing the cultural differences, and give a clear opportunity for response. Tuesday, in the humblest of surroundings, I was priviledged to tell parts of my story which helped to break down barriers with these women, and to tell His story as Titus 1:7a, 9 encourages. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Titus%201:7-9;&version=76;

When we arrived and got out of our vehicle we could hear, coming from inside the prison, what sounded to us like violent yelling between many of the women. The guards were banging on the cells with their sticks telling them to quiet down. We entered what I would call the foyer area of the jail. Hallways and cells extended from each side. We were told that we had 30 minutes to speak to them and we could do it from this foyer. I was dissappointed that I would not be able to see their faces as I teamed with Brucely, a Hatian Pastor who translated my message.

I wondered what would quiet them. We decided to sing Amazing Grace. It worked, they quieted.I spoke, Brucely passionately translated and likely improved, and God moved. At one point in the message I asked them to raise their hands if they knew they were sinners and in need of a Savior. Down the rows, arms that were hanging limply out of their cells went up.
We'll not know a count on this side of eternity but God reassured all of us that His word never returns void. (More tomorrow on their receipt of the gift bags.) Ginger Mokher

No comments: