Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Goodbye Campo Alegria



This morning was a slightly gut-wrenching mix of relief and nostalgia. After breakfast we had worship, then did our Bible, English, and art classes as one big group. Then we swam for a half hour, pulled the sheets off all the bunk beds, and had the kids pack their muchilas. After a few great group photos and a ton of hugs, we loaded the kids on the big yellow bus and ran after it, waving and yelling our best Spanish farewells the whole way. 

Quick sidenote-- Chachi told the first-time Campo Alegria counselors among us that if they didn't run after the bus they weren't really Christians. Normally I would scoff at such nonsense, but this time I was in full agreement. You can't spend four days with those kids, then just hug them and put them on a bus and stand there while it hauls them off.

Five minutes after they were gone, I found myself looking at the photo in the wooden frame I decorated Monday in arts & crafts class. I swallowed hard and replayed the last 90 or so hours in my head. Dabbing at my eyes, my thoughts landed on the revelation that tonight I would most likely get a full night of uninterrupted sleep for the first time in four days. This week was a lot of work, but I can't think of anything more worthwhile or more fun that I could have been doing.

-Jason Richards


No comments: